Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Names for the two Hobbit films released


I am a huge fan of "The Lord of the Rings". I am a huge fan of "Lord of the Rings" to such a degree where it isn't even funny anymore. I've seen all the extended cuts, the special features, and commentaries. It's become so bad that my friends won't even play The Lord of the Rings Trivial Pursuit with me because it "isn't fun anymore". I've become that guy who owns a certain video game and kicks everyone's asses at it. I'm sorry, I just really love "The Lord of the Rings".

Despite my love for Tolkien and Jackson's amazing trilogy, I was never really a fan of Tolkien's earliest Middle-Earth release, "The Hobbit". I don't know what it is, but after ten years of Tolkein fanboy-ism, I still haven't gotten around to reading it. I have tried a couple times, or perhaps more than a couple times to read that darn book, but just can't urge myself to read any more. There's a Hobbit and a wizard and thirteen dwarves. . .and. . .whatever.

Although I don't neccesarily like "The Hobbit" book, I am very stoked for the film and am excited it is finally being produced after years of Hollywood squablings. If you don't know this already, the approximately 310 page book is getting the two-movie treatment, which is curious, considering that each LOTR book got one movie, even though they are about the same length, if not longer. The justification for this is becau$e there'$ apparently a lot more $tory in the background of the book. Just because a story has subplots, however, does not mean you should actually show them and flesh them out, but this is a discussion for another time.

The names of the two parts have been released today. The first part, which is to come out December 14, 2012, is called "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey". The second film is to be called "The Hobbit: There and Back Again." While these names are Tolkien-esque and nice, I would just prefer it if they would go by their real names: Part one could be "The Hobbit" and part two could be "The Hobbit: You're paying us another ten dollars."

All cynicism aside, I'm excited to see what Jackson does with his new Middle-Earth tales. Hopefully he doesn't pull a Lucas.

No comments:

Post a Comment