Sunday, January 23, 2011

Malevolence Review

Movie: Malevolence
Year: 2004
Director: Stevan Mena
Cast: Samantha Dark, Brandon Johnson and Courtney Bertolone

Synopsis: A woman and her daughter are kidnapped by a bunch of bank robbers who take them to a house in the middle of nowhere. When the daughter manages to escape to a nearby house, she has no idea that she just escaped into the house of a serial killing psychopath, putting not only herself but also her mother and the bank robbers in fatal danger.

I am going to start of by saying THIS MOVIE WAS AWESOME! It really was. It left me wanting more. I turned the movie off satisfied with what I just saw and that's always a good thing. I haven't been this excited writing a review before and that's because I still have goosebumps based on what I just saw. Malevolence was a horror movie that was actually scary. Rare I know. I believe the director Stevan Mena was a fan of the original Halloween growing up as it easily reminded me of that film. Halloween being my favorite horror movie of all time I could see why one would pattern any horror movie after John Carpenter's classic film.

Malevolence had that late 70's early 80's feel to it back when almost every horror movie scared the hell out of you. Those movies were known for not only their suspense but the way they managed to terrify you in a very simplistic way. From the music to the lighting it all made for a very well done movie. The killer in this movie crept behind the shadows, moved without making a sound and stalked his victims without any disregard for human life. Does it get any better than that? The vicious nature in which he went about taking his victims lives even made me a little tense.

Simple is a word I keep using but that's exactly what this movie was. And it worked! Almost to perfection. It puts a huge smile on my face when a serial killer stalks his victims, kills them in a way that's both realistic and well done and lives to fight another day just when you think there's light at the end of the tunnel. This movie is a must see. If you are a horror fan you need to see this film! It'll take you back to a time when gore didn't rule the big screen, when special affect were not existent and when the word scary was always synonymous with the word horror. This movie made me scared again and it's been awhile since I've been able to say that. And to be honest I couldn't be happier.

5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment