Wednesday, April 27, 2011

HBO starts production of 2008 Election film "Game Change".

I have to admit that I wasn't paying much attention to politics around the time of the 2008 election. I had just come back from studying abroad in a country with no CNN, MSNBC or Fox News (it was quite nice) and had missed a lot of the initial hoo-hah that is the beginning of the presidential race. Attending college as the election neared didn't really help either. I was actually in class when Obama was announced president, a friend having received the news via text. Yay, Obama won, now back to analyzing a boring American poem. . .alright. . .

Little did I know that in these months of political negligence, a lot was going on in D.C. John Edwards was having an affair with a filmmaker, Bill was to potentially be the first lady, Obama and Biden were chilling, and Rudy Giuliani disappeared into thin air. While I still don't find this very interesting (politicians are the people I worry about the least), I do understand it was interesting enough to be made into a book by John Heilemann and Mark Halperin titled "Game Change: Obama and the Clintons, McCain and Palin, and the Race of A Lifetime."

I had heard of the book but had forgotten about it until this morning when the first image of Julianne Moore as Sarah Palin surfaced. The book is being turned into an HBO film, also to star Ed Harris and Woody Harrelson. I was excited upon reading this news. Maybe it would be a sweet thriller or an exciting drama. Then I saw it was going to be directed by Jay Roach and my mind stalled, screeching sounds and all.

Jay Roach? The guy who directed "Austin Powers" and "Meet the Parents"? The guy who produced "BrĂ¼no" and "Borat"?

Hmm. . .so maybe "Game Change" isn't to be a drama, unless Jay Roach decides to direct a genre he's never done. Based on the fact he's directing the film, I'll assume this new HBO flick is to be a comedy. I know it's not right to assume anything, make guesses, start rumors, and stuff, but - oh wait, this is about politics? Ok, I'm fine then.

No comments:

Post a Comment