Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Cake "Showroom Of Compassion" Review

Umm...

That's all I could manage to get out once the album reached its end. After nearly a 7 year hiatus, Cake returned with their 6th studio album "Showroom Of Compassion". They showed no compassion for my ears as it failed to impress and left me shaking my head with disappointment. The lead single "Sick of You" wasn't that impressive to begin with but it's a good song nonetheless. I figured the same would be said for the other 10 songs on the LP. Boy was I wrong.

My favorite track on the album happens to be "Long Time" and it's an amazing track. The song caught me off guard at first because it sounds like the type of song you would hear in a club or a song you would blast in your car and for a second you forget that this is a Cake album. The problem with this song being as good as it is is that it provides false hope. The rest of the album really falls flat and given all the time off in between albums it's kind of surprising.

The album comes off as boring to me and made me drowsy just listening to it. Perfect for putting a toddler down for an afternoon nap. I'm sure that wasn't the intent when the guys from Sacramento, California put this album together. Maybe another year off to record more, let's say fatigue reducing songs would have helped - then again maybe not.

Other tracks to hear: None

No comments:

Post a Comment